Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Where to look?

I started a new job this week in a small office. There is just two of us out front, myself and another girl a bit younger than I. Seeing as how we both were born and raised on this Island in the middle of the Pacific we know quite a few of the same people. It's bound to happen. She's nice and we chat while we are working. She is single, and has been for quite a while. Why you ask? This island makes it hard to meet people. I had to resort to online dating. She feels there are far too  many freaks out there. I absolutely agree, but I didn't know where else to meet men, so I had to weed out the freaks. So where does a smart, fun, successful, good looking girl in her 20's or early 30's meet a man other that cyber space? Here's some ideas for you ladies!

The Dog Park: Dog owners will talk to anyone, and it's automatically something you have in common so it's easy to break the ice. Don't have a dog? Borrow one. I'll lend you mine. You can tell that cute guy with the floppy eared Lab you'll lint roll the dog hair off him after dinner.

The Gym: Try to find a gym that does not have a separate mens/ladies zone. Go to a gym you know will have guys your age and check the activities calendar. Royal Roads University Recreation Center has floor hockey on Monday nights, it's jam packed with cute boys! Jump on the treadmill and ask the hottie next to you what he's got loaded on his IPod. Not feeling that brave? At least you've gotten a good work out and you'll feel good about your self!

Parties: I'm not talking about the average party at your friends house you go to every weekend, I'm talking the FaceBook invite for an acquaintances Birthday Party at the Karaoke Bar you would never go to. You will obviously know at least one person, but in true Vancouver Island style you'll more than likely know at least four people. You never know who may be there, and at the very least you'll reconnect with an old friend, and maybe make a new one!

In Class: I'm not talking College or University classes. But sign up for a class of some sort. WestShore Parks and Recreation has lots of classes, curling, aquatic kickboxing, intro to wood working and even a class on how to use your IPhone or IPod! What about taking golf lessons with Matt at Highland Pacific golf course? I love this golf course, you will too. Why not meet a man while doing something fun, somewhere fantastic and learning a new skill? It's an all around win!

Those are a few things I'd suggest, any other suggestions please feel free to leave a comment! Let's help all our single and fabulous friends find that special someone!

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME tips! I think I've about given up on the online dating thing! Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, HP as a singles hotspot? I like it. Thanks for the plug Nicole, keep up the good writing!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete