Thursday, January 27, 2011

Forgiveness and Love: When it's not enough, and when it is.

 I'm really forgiving. I believe in unconditional love, second chances and that people can, and will, change themselves if they want to. All I want is honesty. The truth is the only real and undeniable thing in this world, that's why it's so important to me. No matter what happens as long as I get the truth I can forgive, and forget.
I dated a guy that I think cheated on me when he went out of town. I didn't want to know for sure, so I never asked, I just accepted that he was who he was, and I loved him for him. I never tried to change him, I fell for him, not who he could be, but who he was. I've heard "to forgive without requiring the other to change is not only self-destructive, but ensures a dysfunctional relationship will remain so by continually rewarding mistreatment" but I don't think so. I was happy with him, when he was with me I was his girlfriend, no one else was. He never lied to me, he just never came out and told me his "mistakes". He was a fantastic boyfriend, who I just didn't love enough. I ended it when I realized that. He wanted more, and I was happy just being his girlfriend. He was a great guy, just not the one for me. I thought he deserved someone who would give up anything for him, go to all lengths to be with him and keep him happy, because that's what I want.
Being honest, forgiving mistakes, trust, loving someone for who they are and sacrificing are some of the most important things to me. I'm willing to give all that, and more, and believe it will all come back to me. Happiness is a journey, not a destination, and I'm loving the ride!

1 comment: