Wednesday, January 12, 2011

NYE and 2011 Resolutions

I hate New Years Eve. I hate the pressure, I hate the expectation, I hate the kissing at midnight tradition, I hate it all. I was just going to stay in or head to a friends house with my dog when TBM asked if I wanted to meet him in Seattle. He went to Seattle for Christmas with his family then headed to Houston, TX to visit some friends. He was going to spend NYE there but he wanted to come home early and threw this idea to meet him in Seattle at me. I was game. Nothing about him ever has pressure or expectation, and I wouldn't mind kissing him at midnight! He has been away for about a week, we had been texting and talking on Skype the whole time. He is really good at keeping in touch even though he was on vacation and with his friends. Since he flew to Houston on stand-by he was having a hard time getting a flight out to meet me in Seattle. I had about 5 plans to meet him there, depending on what day and time he actually did leave. The day before NYE he realised he was not getting to Seattle for a few days at least, so, he suggested I go there. Within half an hour I was packed and out the door ready to go to Houston, the Houston in Texas! As I sat on the Clipper to Seattle drinking a glass of champagne I chatted with the people around me. They asked where I was headed and I told them the story. Complete strangers were amazed I was travelling such a distance to see someone. I wasn't phased at all, I really wanted to see TBM and spend New Years Eve with someone I cared about. I would have travelled further.
After a boat ride, some light rail travel and a horrible red eye, I arrive in Houston, exhausted. He picked me up at the airport and took me to paradise! He was staying with his friend in a gated community on the lake. The house was amazingly beautiful, right on the lake, full of tall ceilings and granite. His friend suggested I take a nap in the media room. I settled in to a very comfy couch and he closed the curtain. A few hours later I woke up, first slightly confused, where the hell was I?, then it all came back to me. The first thing I thought of was how crazy was I to travel all that way to spend two nights in Texas with someone who isn't even my boy friend. He had taken me to Vancouver the week before he left and we spent the night at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. It was so gorgeous, and a great time. We had a discussion then about how he wanted to be single. I had a momentary panic attack when I recalled everything we talked about, then got it together. Fine, he doesn't want me as his girl friend, he wants to be single, but he did fly me all the way to Southern USA to be with him on New Years Eve. While his ex girlfriend was not an option because she was on another continent, I still felt special that I was there.
We had a fantastic night, awesome burrito dinner with his friends and their families, drinks, dance parties and champagne! At midnight we watched fireworks from across the lake and had a perfect kiss. Everyone assumed we were together, because that's how we act. He always treats me really respectfully and is sweet. I like being with him and it shows. After an adventure to the local pub with some bar top dancing and befriending an armed security guard we headed to bed.
The next day we went for a walk to see another one of his friends, then headed out for a quick dirt bike and golf cart ride. We had left over burritos for dinner and watched the UFC fight in the media room with a bunch of people. Everyone was so nice and for two whole days I didn't care he wasn't really my boy friend. I just had a great time with him.
We ended up missing our flight home, thankfully we made it on the next one. His sister kindly picked us up from the airport. I got to meet his neice and nephew, they were so sweeet. TBM and I spent the afternoon in Seattle together. We went to the Space Needle, snuck into the Sci Fi museum and had a good time. He dropped me off at the SeaHawks field so I could watch the football game before we rushed for the boarder and made the last ferry.
All in all it was the best New Years I have ever had. I spent it with someone who cares about me, who I care about, someone who has fun with me, and is just all around fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better way to start 2011. Now to keep the good trend going... Here are my 2011 resolutions!
  • Be more social. I like to stay in, I like to watch movies, I turn down lots of invites out. This has to stop! If I'm ever going to have a real relationship I need to get out, and let it happen! Sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring hasn't worked yet, so I'm breaking the trend.
  • Stop over analysing. If it feels right, go with it! There doesn't have to always be a catch...does there?
  • Don't get walked all over. I like to help people and make people happy, but this often comes at the expense of my feelings or needs. I'm still going to treat people the same way, but I'm going to make sure I'm not hurting myself in the process.
  • Do more yoga! I love hot yoga, but since I work, teach, volunteer and like to try to sped time with my friends I don't go as much as I should. I need to pick 30 days and go everyday! This is going to be a tough one, but once I do it I know I'll be happy with myself.
Four resolutions is a lot for me, so here's hoping I can do it! It would be easier if I had a boyfriend to support my goals and help me get there, but I don't so I'll have to do it myself. That's probably the one thing I miss most about having a relationship, the dependability, the security of knowing no matter what happens I have someone I can turn to who won't judge, who will just make it all better with one kiss, hug, smile or word. Since 2011 started out so great, I'm assuming it's only going to get better, I'll make sure of it actually!
Top of the Space Needle in Seattle


No comments:

Post a Comment