Saturday, October 23, 2010

Happy Hour

My life isn't all bad dates, unavailable men and crazy trips to big cities, just most of it. Sometimes I just go meet my friends and talk about my bad dates, unavailable men and crazy trips. Chelsea and I had both been to Veneto Tapas Lounge before and both had terrible experiences. Lost and bumbled reservations, slow service, and over all lack luster "show". After hearing of our dissatisfaction, we were contacted by Solomon, the manager, and decided to give Veneto another chance.

We were greeted promptly and warmly and immediately shown to a very nice booth in a transitional area between the lounge and dining areas. We looked over the drink menus, but nothing jumped out at me. Most likely it's because I was slightly hungover, still. Our server came to take our drink orders, a Ceaser and a Sour Apple martini, and when she left we looked at each other and rolled our eyes. She was very insincere and just came across as weird. Drinks arrive and we continue looking over the menu. This is the first time I've seen Chelsea in a month so we were chatting and it took us a while to decide. I ordered a tapas style beef entree and she selected the sliders.

It seemed like an eternity before our food was delivered, and that's because it was. Thirty minutes to get our food. Thankfully we had lots to catch up on and our drinks to tide us over. My food fell over once the clumsy food runner dropped the plate on the table, but it did look great still. Chelsea's sliders were also eye pleasing. Phony server came to check on us and we both agreed our first few tastes were fantastic. Here's my meal break down:

Dish 1: Veal ravioli with a portabella mushroom ragout and roasted garlic cream sauce
Dish 2: Red wine and thyme marinated short rib with creamy parmesan polenta cake
Dish 3: Pepper crusted New York strip with brandy and cream demi glaze

Dish 1 was pretty good. The mushrooms were flavorful and a great compliment to the mellow cream sauce. Definitely couldn't eat a whole dish of it, but tapas style is perfect for this dish. Dish 2, the one that fell over, was AMAZING. The short rib was really tender and I cut it with my fork. The polenta cake was perfect, and it absorbed the marinade nicely. This was my favorite of the three and would love to eat an entire plate of it. Dish 3 was the let down. I usually love New York strip, but left most of this on the plate. The pepper crust took over everything, and left my mouth burning. I scraped some off to try again and the strip itself was lack luster. The demi glaze would have been nice if the pepper hadn't have overpowered everything. The saving grace of dish three was the red potatoes it was served with. Over all I was really happy with my meal and was full, but not too full. For $15 it was a good value and I recommend, and will have it again.

Chelsea's AAA New York strip loin sliders were creative and original.

Dish 1: Topped with jumbo shrimp and ancho hollandaise
Dish 2: Topped with bacon, smoked applewood
Dish 3: Topped with blue cheese and spicy buffalo onions

The last of the dishes she modified, no onions for her, but instead it came with a hair. This happens, and since it was dealt with quickly and efficiently, it was not a big deal. The fake server redeemed herself and won us over with how she handled the situation. For $15 she left satisfied and happy with her choice as well.

We finished our experience off with a glass of bubbly and a visit from the manager thanking us for coming in. We filled out our comment card with our only complaint being the speed of service. Seeing as how we weren't in a hurry and had a lot to talk about this wasn't a huge concern, but if we had other plans it may have been.

In typical fashion, we decide to continue happy hour with a cocktail at The Fox. I like going there, there is always parking, lots of TV's to catch games on, and sometimes there is a good dancer and we learn a new move or two. An over priced drink and three talentless dancers later we call it a night.

A great Friday night Happy Hour with good company and food. Who could ask for anything more? Both Chelsea and myself recommend checking out Veneto Tapas Lounge in the Rialto Hotel, 1450 Douglas Street. Reservations suggested as it was pretty busy when we were there. Make them through Open Table. Visit their website to view menus and jump start your appetite.






























1 comment:

  1. Very eloquently summarizes. Her joke about the onions with my replacement burger certainly redeemed her service. :)

    ReplyDelete